Course Director, NVQ4 Arts Management Programme, Centre for Arts Development, Liverpool, March 2004 – Sept 2005
- Recruited and managed all course tutors and students. Liaised with internal and external assessors. Increased pass rate to 85%. Managed and nurtured relationships with and between centre, staff, students and placements.
- Devised and developed curriculum, policy and procedures, evaluation of modules and course. Overall financial responsibility for course costs.
- Taught modules: Participatory Arts, Placement Preparation, Fundraising, & Monitoring & Evaluation.
- Devised, organised and supervised high quality ‘live’ placement projects with external partners, running over four months each and totalling eight placement projects a year.
- External placement partners included Liverpool Biennial of Art, Bluecoat Arts Centre, FACT, BBC Big Screen, South Liverpool Housing, Royal Liverpool Philharmonic and community organisations.
- See examples of placement projects here.
Visiting Lecturer, University College Chester, BA Performing Arts 2005/2006
- Responsibility for six seminar groups in years 1, 2 and 3. 100% pass rate.
- Devised, delivered and assessed modules: Mapping the Arts Environment; Access, Audiences and Marketing; and Work-based Learning. Delivered whole year lectures Routes into the Professional Arts and Liverpool, Capital of Culture 2008.
- Wrote and implemented the Creative Industries Strategy for Knowsley Metropolitan Borough Council, adopted as Council policy. Identified premises and developed detailed business plan for a Creative Industries Resource Centre, a managed workspace and CPD facility for creative practitioners, now open for four years. Raised £170k for initial refurbishment. Organised and/or delivered range of CPD and business support activities for creative practitioners (2002 – 2004).
- Board Member of South Liverpool Regeneration (2002 – 2004), a charitable subsidiary of South Liverpool Housing, a social housing provider, delivering the regeneration activities of the organisation. I assisted with setting strategy and objectives, and contributed to the collective management of a £3m budget.
- Manager of Leeds Arts Arena (2000 – 2002). Line management responsibility for several staff. Programmed three visual art and multi-media exhibition spaces successfully creating regional profile. Programmed and managed Leeds City Voice Festival. Raised £20k and managed The Writing Pad project at HMP Leeds. Managed Parallel Lines writing residencies project. Hosted Artspotting Debate. Enabled and supported many participatory arts projects. Active member of Leeds Visual Arts Forum, created to advocate for the visual arts in Leeds.
- Evaluated Different Angles project for Liverpool Biennial of Art. Wrote introduction to publication. Devised & delivered review writing workshop for creative writing tutors involved (2004).
- Creative LETS Project Mentor (Feb – Oct 2000). One of several action-research projects of the international Banking on Culture initiative being managed by ACE-NW. Mentored the management committee and commissioned to evaluate the project’s first six months. Part of project team presentation to MEPs and EU officials at the European Parliament in Brussels.
- Curated Traces of Five Millennia exhibition for the first Liverpool Biennial of Contemporary Art and produced catalogue (1999). Organised national conference Women in the Community examining the position of women in the Jewish community (1999). Organisation of Contained Art exhibition of prison inmates artwork at Liverpool city centre gallery (Sept 1997).
Lecturer in Further Education 1995 – 1998
Manchester City College, Hugh Baird College of Further Education, Liverpool Community College
- Fine Art Foundation
- Visual Studies BTEC Photography
- Design & Technology
- GNVQ Art & Design