As Creative Industries Manager for Brighton & Hove City Council:
Secured £215,000 for creation of purpose built Bristol Estate artists’ studios. Wrote business plan and managed budget. Managed entire project to completion, bringing it in on time and on budget. Supported the creation of a vibrant community of artists contributing to life on the Estate, and successful running of project. Documentation here.
Initiated Creative Workspace Study (CWS) and ensured adoption by Cabinet as Council policy and embedding in Local Development Framework Core Stategy. Chaired steering group, directed research, edited and published CWS top level document and eight working papers.
- Led partnership with Creative Brighton, the creative industries forum for Brighton & Hove, raising profile of creative sector within business infrastructure: http://www.creativebrighton.co.uk
- Advice and guidance to wide range of visual arts and creative industries practitioners, organisations and businesses, at all levels of development.
- Initiated and produced the annual Creative Brighton Debate, taking place during the Brighton International Festival with high profile speakers: Digital Zeitgeist (2008) and Whose Knowledge Economy is it Anyway? (2009). More info.
- Secured three year funding for the Creative Brighton debates, and partnership agreement with the University of Sussex.
- Presented at conferences including The Culture Business, (Chichester University 2007 ), Creative Tomorrows (Doncaster 2007) and South Coast Towns Network (University of Brighton 2008). Panel participant at range of creative sector events including those organised by South East Media Network, University of Brighton events and Common Purpose.
- Speaker at launch events of Blank Studios(2007), Artists Open Houses (Sept 2008), Bristol Estate Studios (April 2008) and Cinecity (November 2008).
- Local Authority observer on Boards of Phoenix Arts, Brighton Photo Biennial, Brighton Photo Fringe and Cinecity.
- Supported development of new 14-19 Creative Media Diplomas with the Education Business Partnership.
- Development of strategic profile of creative industries in local, regional and national policy documents.
- Grant advice and assessments, internal and external.
Go to Projects 1997 – 2006
Go to Projects 2006 – 2009